Columbia Construction provided comprehensive preconstruction and construction management services for a $18+ million building revitalization project for MIT. Located on Albany Street in Cambridge, MIT NW23 serves as the new home for the Department of Facilities and the Office of Campus Planning. Previously used as a commercial biotech research facility, this 3-story, 48,000 sf building was completely renovated and rebuilt to suit office needs.
The building includes over 100 workstations and dozens of offices and conference rooms of varied size. The space is designed as an open plan environment to support collaboration. Constructed in 1922, many of the wood beam elements were accentuated throughout the space, and the extensive brickwork restored.
Building elements also include new windows, a new roof, and new MEP systems. The main entrance and courtyard was completely reconfigured, added onto, and renovated to create a canopied lobby with an accessible walkway.
This project won a Preservation Award by the Cambridge Historical Commission.